Follow by Email

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pass-Through

One day, oh, about 6 years ago, I was walking around in our kitchen trying to figure out something new I could do to that room. I first thought about moving the fridge against a different wall, but that wouldn't work, I decided, because there that would have put the fridge up against a baseboard heater. Then I thought about tearing down the wall between the kitchen and the living room, but I quickly discounted that idea because it would entail messing with electrical wires and such - plus that wall could be a load-bearing wall, I further opined. Then it hit me: We could put a pass-through on that one wall, the wall  between the kitchen and the living room. 

It's a good thing this pass-through idea was a good one because shortly after I suggested the idea to Bill I heard his reciprocating saw buzzing and went in to investigate and found a gaping hole in the wall!

He soon had that hole trimmed with beautiful barn wood, though, and I heaved a sigh of relief: That heretofore dark corner of the kitchen was transformed by the pass-through of light from the living room. 
Oh, and a bonus: People in the kitchen could now see into the living room. Cool! 
My Dad - one of our biggest cheerleaders in re to any remodeling we did - came to see us one day shortly after the pass-through went in, and he suggested we take pictures and use the pass-through as a sort of frame. So that's what we did. 


But this project was not over yet: I had the idea to add some gingerbread at the top of the new opening. After I came up with a pattern, Bill insisted that there was NO WAY he could cut such an intricate pattern in hard wood.
The next day when I got home from work, Bill presented me with a gift: He'd rough-cut the design in wood, and it was lovely.

Now it was my turn to do some work: I got busy with my rotary tool, shaping and smoothing tho rough-cut edges of the trim. 

Why, there's Dear Bill, coating the pass-through with polyurethane.....

Eventually this wall would be covered with barn wood - our intention for that wall all along - but that's another story for another day. 

Bye for now.
Susan



4 comments:

  1. Why did you not think of a 'walk through'? Just wondering. Nice job, nice idea, nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Dinu! That was my first thought: Reduce that whole section of wall to rubble and we could walk through it! But then the complication of heater and electrical and such overtook my thinking and thus I backed off that idea. If I did anything Moore at this juncture, I would - are you ready for this? - take out the wall between the living room and basement steps, thus creating open stairway to said basement! I have NOT presented that idea to my husband, though, as I'm not sure it is not ill-advised!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh can I borrow your hubby! Mine is as talented (maybe) but I can't get him to do any work that he is not paid for. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh can I borrow your hubby! Mine is as talented (maybe) but I can't get him to do any work that he is not paid for. LOL

    ReplyDelete